If you need to draft your will, consider signing a lease, or need a power of attorney or notarized signature, you need legal assistance and, best of all, military personnel and their families have access to legal assistance, absolutely free! Veterans are not eligible for these services. In general, legal aid is provided to the following groups: Keep in mind that legal officers cannot provide you with the full range of legal assistance you need. For example, the military lawyer will not usually represent you in court. If you need more help than the military legal counsel can offer you, he or she may be able to put you in touch with a non-military lawyer who can represent you pro bono (free of charge) or for a fee. For information on the Civilian Military Serving Assistance Act for Active Military Personnel, click on the links below: The Office of the Attorney General for Military and Veteran Legal Aid was created to promote and facilitate civilian legal aid programs, pro bono services and self-help services for military personnel. veterans and their families. As part of its efforts, the Office of Military and Veteran Legal Assistance Programs identifies and maintains the following registry to provide military members and veterans with a single source of information on their unique legal aid resources. The ABA Pro Bono Military Project, administered by the ABA Standing Committee on Legal Assistance to Military Personnel (LAMP), accepts recommendations from legal officers on behalf of junior recruits, serving military personnel, and their families facing civil law issues, and works to refer these cases to pro bono lawyers. The project is also the platform for Operation Stand-By, through which military lawyers and other pro bono lawyers can seek lawyer-to-lawyer advice. Legal counsel can provide you with legal advice and assistance in a number of areas of law, including: In general, military services provide limited legal assistance to members of the Guard and Reserve during inactive duty training to prepare legal documents such as wills and powers of attorney required in the event of involuntary conscription into active duty. Each military service has specific rules on the amount of legal assistance it provides. For more information, please contact your legal advisory office. Remember, as mentioned above, that the military legal counsel may be limited in what they can do to help you with a legal problem, and the lawyer may need to refer you to a civilian lawyer so that you can resolve your problem completely.

Yes. You are entitled to the same services as those provided to active staff – subject to the availability of lawyers. Active staff, especially those in the younger ranks and those preparing to deploy, is a top priority. The ABA`s Military Pro Bono Project offers lawyers two ways to assist military families: (1) register to stay informed about volunteer representation opportunities for military personnel; and (2) register with Operation Stand-By to receive calls or emails from military lawyers or other pro bono lawyers who require lawyer-to-lawyer advice. The military offers free legal assistance if you need to write your will, plan to sign a lease, or need a power of attorney or notarized signature, and best of all, military family members have access to it. Each military service has specific rules on the amount of legal assistance it provides. For more information, please contact your legal advisory office. Legal officers are members of the Judges-Advocate General (JAG) Corps. JAGs can offer assistance in legal and non-legal areas such as contract law, immigration law, divorce, wills, notarial services, etc. Yes.

Reservists who have been activated, preparing for deployment, or have recently returned from deployment, and members of the National Guard who have been on active duty for thirty days or more, as well as their family members with DoD ID cards, are eligible for legal assistance. Retired military personnel and their dependents with DoD ID cards are also eligible, subject to resource availability. Legal aid staff are located on almost every base, every ship and every facility. If you are having trouble finding legal aid, you can find the office near you by visiting one of the following websites: For this type of legal issue, you should contact a civil lawyer for help. In our program directory, you will find programs in your area that you can connect with a civil lawyer. View the 2020 U.S. Army Pay Rolls for all active duty ranks, as well as reserve and guard components. Legal officers can register to use these services: You should first contact your nearest military legal aid office to make an appointment. Don`t JUST ask for help from the legal aid office closest to your department.

Each military legal aid office provides free legal assistance to authorized personnel, regardless of their branch of service.